atw: Re: Mr. Marnell's naive defence of ANYONE (was RE: Mr Ashley's attack on Professor Peters [WAS RE: Re: Helping your readers by avoiding minor usage [WAS RE: Re: Spaces before and after slashes]])

  • From: "bja" <moo-man@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 11:58:42 +1100

Geoff, I'm not going to keep this public slanging match going just so that
you can continue to impose your unqualified opinion on the list. When I ask
you for proofs, you say "ta da, Pam Peters says. ta da" like a cheap
magician pulling flowers out of his sleeve.

When I say, what are her proofs, you say "ta da she is hot stuff. ta da",
"how dare you attack her, she is God you heathen. ta da", "when you learn to
read as good as her. ta da".

Great proofs Geoff. I don't particularly care one way or the other who Pam
Peters is. All I asked for, since you gave her name as an 'authority' along
with her work, was the evidence of your statement on her work in reference
to "editors globally" but instead, you effectively go 'how dare you' and
then attack me.

The joke of your position is that under normal circumstances you would never
accept this as proof yourself! How many times have I seen you ask for
legitimate references citing the need for research results etc. rather than
just another person's opinion, so stop being a hypocrite and stop accepting
the word of a single person (ANY person) as an unqualified fact.

Before I take up a position ON ANYTHING Geoff, I read, discuss and then,
based on the weight of evidence (not just someone else's opinion), I take
the appropriate stand. I'm happy to accept the word of an authority group
(Society of Editors etc after polling their members etc) but never just one
person.

In the case of the 'solidus', I am happy to use this term once I am
convinced it is correct but my reading of the dictionaries leaves me far
from this point (at this stage). The dictionaries (all of them) clearly
state the PRIMARY use of the solidus is that of currency and fractions, NOT
options in grammar. This is a very minor usage. If you claim the Macquarie's
definition of the solidus is your guide, then please explain your logic to
the group because I am still mystified by your stance.

Also, the dictionaries, not a single author, are the foundation of our
language Geoffrey, and certainly not the [initially] Xerox developed Unicode
standard-your reference to this U.S.-originated standard as an 'authority'
really made me shake my head-and you, better than most, should understand
this. If you don't, then how can you teach people?

Your statement "Why can't you accept that editors and publishers-folks who
know a thing or two about language, as opposed to computer programmers who
fall into technical writing-don't know what the various slashes are called.
I invite you to sit the accreditation examination held each year by The
Institute of Professional Editors. Let me know if you pass, and maybe then
we can take this discussion further." is just silly. As usual, you make
these stupid statements simply to denigrate the views of other who have also
spent a lifetime with words but disagree with you. Again you have made an
unsubstantiated claim that I can't accept that "editors and publishers .
DON'T know what the various slashes are called". I'm sure they actually do
(I assume your comment was in error Mr Accredited Editor) but I would like
to hear from them directly rather than through some self-serving academic
filter.

I am happy to accept the word of 'editors and publishers', but I want a
consensus (not just the word of a single 'accredited editor') and I want to
see the proofs. Just like you Geoff, I don't just want your opinion, despite
how earnest you make it sound (by puffing up your side of the discussion and
belittling all opposing views). I want facts, not conjecture. Those of us on
the coal face do not have the time (or, I must admit) the interest to chase
down every word we have to deal with. We leave that for those with more time
on their hands. But having said that, YOU, though your supercilious attack
on my honest query, have pushed this discussion in a direction that has
forced me (reluctantly) to personally interrogate some of the claims you
have made and I find the main references at odds with your position.

So don't accuse me of attacking anyone Geoff, accuse me of not taking your
word for everything on blind faith. Perhaps those of us who actually have to
use the words (instead of just talking about them or checking the work of
others) are sometimes a better judge of common usage than others and I can
assure you Geoff, just like you, Pam Peters, editors (accredited or not) and
publishers, I also know how to read so if you have further 'authorities'
(and not just a claim to some 'academic' superiority), please let me know
and I will include them in my reading.

This will be my last public comment to you on this topic Geoff. By
continuing your attacks, you have given this far more air time than it
deserves.

When I am satisfied that I have sufficient references on this issue, I will
sum it up and dump it on the list. If you are right, I will change my
position on the use of the word but NEVER on the need for proof. As for your
comment "If you want to perpetuate the merging of clear and distinct things
under the one rubric-and thus introduce lexical ambiguity-then expect some
resistance from fussy old bastards like me who want to keep distinct things
labelled distinctly", I really wish this were true. I just think you take up
a position and then fight to the death to defend it, so, "fussy old
bastard", maybe. "stubborn old bastard", certainly!

Cheers,

Bruce

(Another stubborn old bastard until PROOF forces change)

  _____