atw: Re: Is the computer really a paradigm shift?: a lament

  • From: "Geoffrey Marnell" <geoffrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 21:50:45 +1000

Peter, I meet your sigh and raise it.

<sigh><squared>

Did I ever say that no tech writer (TW) should ever be curious, that no TW
should explore regular expressions, that no TW should explore DITA and dita
maps, that no TW should consider with XML, that no TW should avoid reading
Euclid, and so on? Let's stick to the script. And in doing so, let's
illuminatingly extend Christine Kent's smart dissection of technical writing
into niches. Let's extend it to splitting technical writers into seniors and
juniors. (Ugly and blunt, perhaps; but it will do...and not least because it
sticks to the source of this thread.)

Now, I am all I favour of seniors like you and I (and even would-be seniors)
exploring everything there is to explore about TW, and pushing the
boundaries (and even the envelope: DL or otherwise). It's interesting to do
so; it can be exciting; it can lead to new methodologies; and it keeps us
away from the TV footy and from Coldplay's latest laser-cutting.

But let's go back to the start of this thread and ask about the juniors.
Some day they too will be pushing the envelope: but until then let's not
make them feel that they have to be seniors (or would-be seniors) from day
one. All the workplace scenarios that you list are cases of the
serendipitous application of non-essential knowledge, knowledge that you
have picked up over many years of experience, exercised curiosity and hard
study. Yes, you probably did save me some time on one of my projects because
you knew how to interpret a few snippets of XML you accidentally found on
the client's server. Thank you very much. I do, and I mean it, appreciate
that. But that's what I expect of senior writers. That's why I pay you
considerably more than the juniors I employ. You have earned your keep ;-)

But the juniors we all desperately need to bring in to this profession
shouldn't feel that they need to be as smart or as knowledgeable as us
seniors from day one. Give them time; give them guidance; give them
challenges. But don't thwart their entry into this profession with
hyperbolic rot about needing to know, from day one, what we seniors have
picked up over many years: especially when so much of it is incidental, of
uncertain longevity and of immediate relevance to only a handful of
deep-pocketed multi-nationals with huge writings teams. (I'm with Hedley on
this point.)

Yes, I too would like Nikki, and all others who are passionate about the
dissemination of practical knowledge, "to follow [their] curiosity". We
definitely need smart, knowledgeable folk in this profession to take over
from old farts like you and I, Peter, when we kick the bucket. (Which is why
I have always supported the Swinburne course, despite some innuendoes to the
contrary that have appeared on this list.)

But the truly important issue here is what is *necessary* to get you started
in this industry. Perspective time: you can know all there is about XML,
dita maps, schemas, regular expressions and even the Black-Scholes formula
(if you wish to avoid immediate relevancy, as some contributors to this
thread have)...but if you can't write with communicative efficacy, if you
can't tell a transition word from a restrictive relative clause, if you
can't get your message across to your intended audience without them having
to work out what you meant, then you will fail as a technical writer.
Language first; technology and tools later. (Which is not, Peter, the same
as *language only*, as per your earlier interpretation of my views.) That's
the message I've been trying to get across during this thread. Become a guru
at giving Plain-English renditions of XML code snippets if you like (maybe
at the Glebe RSL Club on their Alternate Poetry Reading Wednesday
Stanzathons); but if you can't write simple plain utilitarian
audience-centric English, a bank tellers job awaits thee: even if you happen
to know grep and even grep's little sister. If you can write well, you've
got a future in technical writing; but if all you know is a technology, it
won't be long before you need to know another technology and then another.
(Ask a COBOL programmer. Ask someone who learnt how to vacuum-pump a cloud
chamber. Ask a retired night-cart driver.) That's the starting point for a
career in TW: writing well; and that's the starting point of this thread.
Remember?

<end of sigh>

Geoffrey Marnell
Principal Consultant