atw: Re: Hyphen usage

  • From: Ken Randall <kenneth_james_randall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 02:11:31 -0700 (PDT)

What tends to happen with compound adjectives is that they lose the hyphen
over time if used regularly.  For example, in 1950 "today" was spelt "to-day"
in
newspapers, and, I think, in all writing.  "To-day" was seen as the correct
version,
at least.

Of the examples given below, "in-flight" can be spelt "inflight".

Compound adjectives consisting of an adjective plus part of a verb - e.g.
ill-advised -
are the exception.