atw: Re: Correction - This can go on and on [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

  • From: Howard.Silcock@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 17:13:48 +1000

I think there might be a principle behind Petra's post - something like
'those who are picky deserve to be picked on'. ( You could call it the
Glass House principle, except that that phrase now calls to mind a
lamented (by some) ABC program.)

Applying this principle to Brian's post again, I'm now going to be picky
enough to ask him: what do you mean by 'just like <his> and <hers>'?
<hers>?

And, yes, I think Petra's right about 'ellipsis'.

Howard

LIVERANI Petra <Petra_LIVERANI@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: austechwriter-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
24/05/2007 04:01 PM
Please respond to
austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
atw: Correction - This can go on and on
Topic

TRIM File Ref

No doubt I'm making an error myself somewhere - I believe the correct
term is contraction. Ellipsis is when a complete word (or words) is left
out but understood as in "John can play the guitar but Mary can't"
instead of "John can play the guitar but Mary can't play it".

Regards,
Petra

For those who must correct, <it's> is an ellipsis of <it is>, only.
Brian.

<snip>

> And Christine:
>
> "We cow tow to people"
> ->
> kowtow, kow tow or kow-tow
>
> It's origin is Chinese. Wikipedia has a fascinating article on it. You

> use
> the term correctly, according to it's meaning in English, which has
> shifted significantly from its original meaning in traditional Chinese
> culture.
>
> Peter Fagan

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachment to it are intended only
to be read or used by the named addressee. It is confidential and may
contain legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is
waived or lost by any mistaken transmission to you. The RTA is not
responsible for any unauthorised alterations to this e-mail or attachment
to it. Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender,
and are not necessarily the views of the RTA. If you receive this e-mail
in error, please immediately delete it from your system and notify the
sender. You must not disclose, copy or use any part of this e-mail if you
are not the intended recipient.