atw: Re: Another accreditation diatribe

  • From: Ana Young <ana_young2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 22:00:03 -0800 (PST)

Again, I agree with Brian - people need to agree on
what they really want.

Someone mentioned the STC. As far as I am aware, Jill
can possibly clarify this better, the STC does NOT
have any accreditation scheme; however, the STC does
have a (fairly strict) membership "level". For
example, not everybody can call themselves an STC
Senior Member. I must confess that I do not know the
rules that apply to the various levels. Again, Jill
may be of help, if anybody is interested.

The other difference that I see between an OZ
accredication scheme and an USA one, is that in the US
there are a number of technical communication degrees
(and they have been in place for a while), which (by
themselves) serve as a basis for some kind of "entry"
level.

I also know that the Australian Societies of Editors
(all of them) have been working together for at least
2 years to come up with an accrediation scheme that
satisfies everybody. They are still working on it.

Cheers,
Ana