atw: Re: Advice on upgrading to Word 2007

  • From: "Stuart Burnfield" <slb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 11:50:08 +0900

Thanks Christine.

Just to clarify something: the people I work with will be staying
with Office 2003. I have no influence over when or whether they
upgrade. So I need to be able to work in Word 2007 and easily create
documents and templates that can be used by Word 2003 users with zero
effort on their part. Therefore I need Word 2003 to be my default
format, not docx. The good news is that this seems to be
possible--see below.

Christine's e-mail led me to this blog, which answers most of my
remaining questions:
http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_office_word/rss_tag_compatibility.xml

 Compatibility Highlights:

  Word 2007 creates files that can be viewed by anyone for free (via
the Word Viewer & Compatibility Pack)
  Word 2007 creates files that can be opened and saved in previous
versions of Word (via the Compatibility Pack)
  Word 2007 has new features that cannot be edited or cannot be
represented in previous versions of Word
  Word 2007 will not change the layout of documents created in
previous versions of Word
  Word 2007 can save files in the .doc (Word ?97-2003) file format
  Word 2007 provides a way to check for features that cannot be
edited or represented in previous versions of Word (via the
Compatibility Checker)
  Word 2007 provides a way to ensure that features that cannot be
edited or represented in previous versions of Word cannot be put into
documents (via Compatibility Mode)

 New UI Highlights:

  Commands exist within Tabs which describe a type of
activity/scenario you may want to perform.
  To Insert a table, go to the Insert tab. To change your View of
your document, go to the View tab. Etc.
  If none of the Tabs match what you are trying to do, use the Word
2007 guide to tell you exactly where the command is.

Bullets and Numbering: I put a bit of effort into getting these to
work properly, using the guidance in the Word MVPs site,
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html and
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/bullets/controlbullets.html

There were many ways to mangle bullets and numbering in Word 2003,
but as long as you followed the One True Path they would work
reliably. If the True Path is different in Word 2007, I hope it's
different and better, not just... different.

Stuart