atw: Re: Adobe Question

  • From: "Allan Charlton" <allancharlton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 20:10:19 +1100

Like everyone I've had difficulties with large documents and Word.  I'm not
sure how Acrobat works, but when HDK converts a doc to Help, it does a
conversion to RTF, followed by some database processing followed by a
compile.  This can use a lot of memory.  Turning off TSRs certainly helps,
but running my memory defragger helps more.

The memory defragger cleans out all the memory that should have been let go
but wasn't.  It can make a huge difference.

Other thoughts:
Don't try to do the conversion over a LAN (Acrobat local, doc on LAN),
because the server memory allocation can interfere.
Make sure your local hard disk has at least 50% free space.

Allan