atw: Problems with garbled list messages

  • From: Stuart Burnfield <sburnf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 16:21:05 +0800

Occasionally an austechwriter message is garbled in transit and appears as
a block of hex characters. Like the Fremantle Dockers' patches of winning
form, these occurrences are rare, happen without warning, and depart
without explanation.

Hedley tried posting a message twice today, then forwarded it to me and I
tried posting it. In all cases it was garbled when it came back from the
list. I noticed that Hedley's message to me, which didn't go via the list
and came through fine, contained some high-ASCII characters--ellipses and a
dash. I took these out and sent the message to the list again to see if
that fixes the problem.

Hedley's mentioning that he uses Lotus Notes made me smell a wumpus; I've
had this hex problem occasionally and I use Notes too... I wonder if anyone
else has experienced this and uses Notes? I suspect it's a conflict that
happens when the Ecartis list software used by Freelists uses comes across
a message containing high characters that was sent from a Notes mail
client.

So apologies for all the garbled messages today, but I hope it takes us
closer to solving the problem.

Regards

Stuart