atw: Numbering in embedded material

  • From: "Daryl Colquhoun" <atw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "austechwriter list" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 06:38:12 +1000

Hi all -- here's a problem I'm having in Word 2003. I want to embed
documents, so I have a document called M.doc and inside it, I want to
pull in the documents a.rtf and b.rtf. So I've tried using includetext
fields. There are two problems.

Problem 1. I have to use a full absolute path, not a relative one.

Problem 2. The numbering inside the subdocument doesn't fit into the overall numbering scheme. For example, say M.doc goes like this
1. Introduction [Heading 1]
2. Monkeys [Heading 1]
{Now embed a.rtf}
1. Crocodiles [Heading 1]
1.1 Alligators [Heading 2]
{end of a.rtf}{Now embed b.rtf}
1. Frogs [Heading 1]
{end of b.rtf}
I want the Crocodiles and Frogs paras to be numbered as 3 and 4 and the Alligators para to be 3.1.

Who can suggest the magic options that will fix these? Ideally, I change M.doc only and not the subdocuments.
I've even tried Master and sub-document feature, with no luck.
Thanks, everyone ... Daryl.

Emails to this address are automatically deleted as an anti-spam measure.