atw: FrameMaker and Japanese

  • From: ed_bushby@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:33:30 +1100

On behalf of a colleague whose posts are being blocked.  (Does anyone know
why that would be?)

Hi all,

Today I have been hit with a requirement to provide some software
documentation in Japanese.

For the software product, we use FrameMaker 7.0 (+ all updates) and then
convert the files to PDF (using Acrobat 6.0) for print and online.

For the European languages we currently support (Latin characters), we
send out our FrameMaker files for translation and once they are back we
convert them to PDF.

Does anyone know of a reason that this practice would not work for
Japanese?

I recall reading that the lack of Unicode support in Framemaker can be a
problem, but I have also found this:

"Adobe FrameMaker supports only the character sets of roman fonts that use
the ISO Latin-1 character set and the Asian character sets of Simplified
Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, and Korean."

Thanks,

Greg Brown
Senior Technical Communicator
Moldflow Pty. Ltd.