atw: Follow-up to: Advice on upgrading to Word 2007

  • From: "Stuart Burnfield" <slb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 18:31:39 +0900

I said:
> I need to upgrade the Sharepoint component of MS Office from
> 2003 to 2007. Strictly speaking there's no hurry to upgrade
> the rest of Office, but for boring licensing reasons it would
> be a lot easier to upgrade everything at once.

I thought I needed Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007, and
assumed it would be included in MS Office 2007 Professional Edition.

SharePoint Designer is the rebadged MS FrontPage, enhanced to work
well for customising Sharepoint sites. It's part of the MS Office
2007 family *but is not included in any of the Office 2007 suites*.
(I discovered this during the installation procedure, just before
point of no return :^) So, there's no need to upgrade Word and the
other Office components if all you want is Sharepoint Designer.

Then I discovered that I don't need Sharepoint Designer anyway.
I don't need to edit the underlying page template, I can just use
a different template. So now I'm back to where I was last week.
But it was still worth learning about the ins and outs of changing
to Word 2007.

Posted in the hope that this will save someone else some bother...

Stuart