atw: Feedback loops?

  • From: "Rhonda Bracey" <Rhonda.Bracey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <HATT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <authorit-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <stclwrsig-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:07:26 +0800

[x-posted to HATT, AuthorIT, Austechwriter, and Lone Writer lists]

Hi all

I've suggested to a client that we consider implementing user feedback
loops (for want of a better term). But the manager wants to know whether
it is worth it... So I figured I'd ask the people who would be able to
give an opinion removed from the confines of this organisation - you!

Has anyone added 'feedback loops' to their Help? By 'feedback loops' I
mean user feedback on the documentation content, such as the more recent
Microsoft Office Help and the MS Knowledge Base where you can let MS
know if the article/topic was helpful and make comments about it.

If you *have* implemented these sort of user feedback loops, can you
tell me how you and your users have found them. For example:
* Have users responded?
* If so, have the responses been valid (as versus the Donald Duck type
of response and comments full of expletives or garbage)?
* What proportion of users have responded? (if you know this; obviously
for a public website you may have no idea, but for Help attached to an
app that has a known number of users you may have a better idea)
* Have you received comments from users or management about the
opportunity to give you feedback about the doco? What sort of comments?
* Have you found the user comments useful? And do you think they have
contributed to the improvement of the documentation you provide?

Thanks in advance

Rhonda

Rhonda Bracey
rhonda.bracey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx=20