atw: Development cost metrics

  • From: "Kent, Christine" <Christine.Kent@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 13:18:46 +1000

Hi Guys

I am hoping there is a bit of diversity in the group to be able to give
me some guidance here.

When we are scoping an IT support project, documentation, training etc,
we use standard metrics to estimate costs, development times et al.

The project manager will determine an overall doc/train budget using
standard metrics (normally wrong) and then we estimate our costs to fit
within that budget, again using standard metrics.  These are often
broken down further into products and project phases

I am trying to put together some guidelines for where to find standard
metrics for a variety of development and publishing tasks.  These
include various forms of print, digital, courseware, educational games,
rich media - anything that these days can be considered an educational
product.

Has anyone any idea of web based resources (or failing that, books) that
give standard metrics for ANY educational or support products at all,
for any development or publishing phases at all?

If you add value to my matrix, I will send you a copy of the finished
product by way of thanks.

Cheers

Christine Kent