atw: Contract opportunity, North Sydney, immediate

  • From: "Michael Lewis" <mlewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:16:26 +1000

I have a contract opportunity for someone to develop classroom training
materials for a software product. There are a few unknowns about the role;
especially, I don't know how long it will last. But I can say that the client
wants
to fill the role yesterday. It's a full-time role, and will certainly run into
January.

The product is web-based, using Java Server Pages in a J2EE environment.

The client is US-owned, and the job is in North Sydney, on-site.

The instructional design will be done by people in the US, but that doesn't
preclude someone with the right skills being able to participate in the design
work. Mostly, though, the job entails implementing the design provided. To
repeat: the materials are for classroom training, not on-line training.

The client wants to strike a daily rather than an hourly rate; the budget seems
fairly flexible -- quality comes before price. If you are available
immediately, and
meet the following "person spec", send me your details (including daily rate
expectations -- be realistic, and give me a minimum figure rather than a flying
kite; I'll try to get the best rate I can, but I need to know when to say
"don't
bother".) I apologise for the tool-specific nature of some of the details; the
client
is anxious to avoid "local formatting" problems caused by inexperience (or
ineptitude!) with MS Word.

Skills:
Mandatory -
Ability to interview SMEs (developers) to obtain information for subsequent
restructuring and rewriting;
Ability to structure information according to action sequences (task-oriented
design);
Ability to express information according to audience background, knowledge,
and experience.
Desirable -
Ability to read (and, to a limited extent, write) Java code for JSPs

Experience:
Mandatory -
Development of presentation materials (using a product such as MS
PowerPoint) and printed materials (using a product such as MS Word)
Use of client-supplied MS Word templates, including use of styles rather than
local formatting
Desirable -
Instructional design
Development of support materials for classroom-based training

Michael Lewis

Brandle Pty Limited, Sydney, Australia
www.brandle.com.au