atw: Accreditation - general points

  • From: "Birtley-Kent, Christine" <birtleykentc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:33:31 +1000

I agree with some of your points but not others, Michael.

On the agreement side, even the testing I have suggested would involve a
huge array of tests with each test passed listed on the accreditation
certificate.

Tests would have to include each of the phases of a TW role:
-       Analysis
-       High level Design
-       Detailed Design
-       Paper Based Development (A full array of document types and possibly
a reasonable array of development products)
-       On-line Development (A full array of document types and a reasonable
array of development products)
-       Graphic tools and graphical skills
-       Editing and Review
-       Paper based Publication (Variety of styles from in-house to
commercial printer)
-       On-line Publication (Variety of styles including intranet and
internet, Html, PDF et al)

Then there's all the consultancy and leadership skills
-       negotiating up with stakeholders
-       negotiating down with users
-       project management
-       team leading

Then there's possibly industry sectors with sectors like SAP, IT technical
writing, user technical writing, writing about machines type technical
writing etc etc.

And that's just for starters!

Regarding the slimy monster of fear, I think it has to be addressed because
if we do not address it, some interfering government body will.  But we can
wait until someone designs a Cert IV in Business Writing or some such
aberration and then jump in over the top.

But I also am becoming more and more reluctant to call myself a technical
writer when I see the skill sets of others calling themselves technical
writers.  We have to get rid of the dross (every unemployed project manager,
programmer etc) and re-establish the professionalism of our job.

Market forces are not doing that, because the market does not understand our
job.  My perception is that our professional status as a group has dropped
dramatically since I started in this business and our role within
organisations has been steadily 'juniorised'.  Market forces seems to have
eliminated most of the highly professional 'old hands' - I'd love to know
where they have all moved on to.

ck