[audacity4blind] Re: creating crossfading in a single file with multiple tracks

  • From: Gary Campbell <campg2003@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 00:52:12 -0700

Hi Mike,

I assume that you are using "tracks" in the CD sense rather than in the usual Audacity sense (channels). I haven't tried this in your specific situation, but here is how I would approach it.

1. Select the silence between two songs and delete it.
2. Save this point with Store Region (ALT+e,g) or set a label there to
   remember it just in case.
3. Select an equal amount on either side of this point that you wish to
   be crossfaded.  You could do this by ear, playing through the end of
   one song and the start of the next, or by going to the selection bar
   and decreasing the start time and increasing the end time by the
   same amount.
4. Apply Crosfade Clips.  This effect will crossfade around the center
   of the selection even if you don't have two clips.  It doesn't give
   you any control over the parameters of the fade, but if it does what
   you need, it's simple.

If Crosfade Clips doesn't work for you, the only way I know to do it is to put the songs in different Audacity tracks, overlap them, and apply the Crossfade Tracks effect, which gives you a choice of several types of fades.

Hope this helps.

Gary

On 1/26/2017 9:19 AM, Mike Bernard (Redacted sender mbern6516 for DMARC) wrote:

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know of a simple accessible way to create a crossfade between tracks within a single file? I have a file with multiple tracks, however, when one song ends, there’s a few seconds of silence between the time when the current track ends and when the new one begins, sort of like when you’re listening to a long-playing CD. I’d like to get rid of those gaps of silence and make it appear that the tracks are crossfading from one to another. This way, when the file is plaied back, there’s a smoother transition between the tracks. Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

Rochester, NY.

Do you like classic rock? Do you like to shake your groove with disco, eighties new wave, 90s hiphop or today’s latest hits? If so, Check out my show every Wednesday night from 7 to 9 pm on ACB Radio Interactive at

www.acbradio.org/interactive <http://www.acbradio.org/interactive>

Avast logo <https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>