[askdba] Re: Hw is Sharelex ?

  • From: Chandra Pabba <chandra.pabba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: askdba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 13:56:38 +0530

Hi Chirag,

Quest's SHAREPLEX is a tool, with which we can replicate databases.
This uses the log-mining technology for synchrnozing the databases.
Whereas, Oracle Replication uses totally a different methodology for
implementing replication it uses snapshot logs or internal triggers
for sychronizing the databases.  I would say both are parallel or
similar products using different technologies for replicating
databases.

I don't think there would be specific required just for Replication
Expert, most of them expect the regular/code DBAs to be able to manage
and adminster Replication environments, it's just an added expertise
for a DBA.  It would definitely improve the marketability of one's
candidature, compared to a DBA who has not used Replication at all.
It's definitely a 'good to have' skill.

Thanks
Chandra Pabba

--