Re: [artworks] Upgrade path

  • From: Nick K <signwork@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 17:28:14 +0100

In message <8ab33c8a52.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <58cc1f8852.signwork@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Nick K <signwork@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> How does that list work ? does the few who ask often get what they
>> want? or is there a small straw poll and the easiest implemented?

> [snip]
> d) the expected number of users who are interested in the feature

how do you determine this ?

[snip]

> A voting system would only make sense if there were several
> alternatives with similar parameters as per a) and b) above and I was
> in doubt as to parameters c) and d). If I found myself in that
> situation I would not hesitate to start a formal voting procedure.
> However, in that case, I would really be interested in the opinion of
> all users, not just users of the most recent version.

true, but I would think if someone has not upgraded for a while they
are unlikely to ever again.

> The problem with the voting approach is that I could only offer
> features for voting that have a very low risk because it would look
> stupid if I offered something and then subsequently, after it had won
> the vote, had to admit that I could not do it.

I was thinking more along the lines that users tell you what they want
via blank comment box, so no possible feature list is offered, you
collate and determine

> Needless to say, all the really useful low risk features have been
> implemented a long time ago. The best features I have done in recent
> years were high risk items, e.g., PDF import and Artistic Lines.

> Artistic Lines were one of the riskiest projects I have ever done for
> ArtWorks. I would never have dared to offer such a feature in an
> official voting procedure. Fortunately, there was no need for that
> anyway since I was pretty certain that existing users would be
> interested in this feature.

I see on the website it shows graduation and cross hatch can be
applied to the line fill
would it be possible to have a picture or a repeating 'photo' texture
pattern?

On the subject of lines can a line be moved inside or outside of it's
centre path - the reason I ask this is when applying thicker lines to
text, because the line is centred it eats into the letter and distorts
it. (thin strokes become impossibly thin) Whereas if it can be applied
outside the path the letter is preserved intact

the current way to do this effect is to have two lines of text on top
of each other - the bottom with the double thick line the top
lineless.

Nick k