Re: [artworks] Transparent background

  • From: Tim Hill <smartgroups@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 12:54:56 +0100

In article <4fc07d9e99kell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Kell
<kell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Can someone please remind me how to do something?

> I have a header in mid-blue which I want to display on a web page
> against a grey background.

> Somehow I've managed to do this in the past, but I'm hanged if I can
> remember...

> I've created the header in text against a grey background (so that it
> anti-aliases into the grey).

What do you mean by background? Have your changed the paper colour to the
exact same colour as the web page background? IME this is necessary if
you want to use the Bitmap export to create a transparent bitmap.

> Then I export the header as a GIF with
> transparency. However I am getting the background as grey, not
> transparent. If I leave the background as white (background page) and
> save with transparency,

Is that 'Transparent background (masked)'?

> I get what is expected: the text with a
> transparent background. However when it is displayed in a web page with
> a grey background, there's an unsightly jagged edge where the text has
> anti-aliased to white.

> Setting the page colour to the background grey is better, but it's
> still not perfect: there are still some white pixels.

That's probably because you haven't matched up the paper colour with the
web page bgcolor exactly.

> An idea would be
> to save it as a sprite and clear the white pixels, but then I find it
> difficult to convert it back to a GIF with transparency :-(

> Any ideas?

You could instead save a sprite of the blue text against a grey rectangle
and use Intergif to then select the grey as the background colour and
create a transparent GIF. I found this solution when getting as
frustrated as you.  ;-)

Tim Hill,

www.timil.com

... "O, flatter me, for love delights in praises" Two G of V, Act ii, Sc.4