Re: [artworks] Positioning of dialogue boxes.

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 13:11:36 +0200

In message <4ef0cb1366kell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Kell  <kell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10 Jun, Kell  <kell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Now that I am using Geminus with two screens, I have noticed
>> inconsistencies in the positioning of Artworks dialogue boxes.

> Sorry to go on about this, but here's another few I've noticed:

> New layer / edit layer - opens where last opened;
> Export bitmap - opens where last opened;
> Export PDF - opens at centre of screen (!)

There are technical reasons for the difference. The difference is
whether the box is deleted when it is closed and recreated when you
request it again or whether ArtWorks keeps it. For technical reasons
quite a number of dialogue boxes have been changed from "keep" (i.e.,
"open where last opened") to "delete and recreate" (i.e., "open at
centre of screen") recently.

Either behaviour is perfectly acceptable and I am not aware of any
alternative behaviour nor is there any good reason why all dialogue
boxes should use just the one or just the other behaviour.

Spreading the desktop over multiple screens is not a core RISC OS
feature, so Geminus has to do it in a way that is completely
transparent to the OS and to applications. That means that ArtWorks
has no way of finding out about the split using OS interface, so it
cannot do better than it does unless Geminus offered an interface to
extract the required information (of which I am not aware).