Re: [artworks] How to close this shape?

  • From: Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 17:49:02 +0000 (GMT)

In article <4560f4a551.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Martin Wuerthner
<lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <51a5ee6e03riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Richard Ashbery
>           <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > In article <eed6b5a551.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Martin
> > Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> [...] Line/Shape info dialogue: [...]

> > Another obvious point is that this dialogue box enables you to
> > fill the shape by clicking the Filled icon.

> Yes, but that is really an esoteric option. It controls whether the
> shape *can* be filled. In ArtWorks, by default closed shapes can
> be filled and open shapes cannot be filled. That option allows you
> to deviate from that, but that should rarely be necessary. The
> main reason why this option is there is because the Draw format
> allows open shapes to be filled, so ArtWorks has to be able to do
> it, too, otherwise it could not render Draw files correctly.

I haven't used Draw for years now but I do vaguely remember that
non-closed shapes could be filled.

> So, switching on "Filled" for an open shape allows you to fill it.
> For instance, you can draw three sides of a square, give it a line
> colour and then fill it, so you can show a filled coloured square
> with only three of the four sides of the outline drawn, and all
> using a single shape object. That can be useful in exotic
> situations, but is not really something that is needed very often.

Agreed

> You can also use this option to do the opposite, i.e., disable
> filling for closed shapes, which is not only useless (much better
> to simply assign fill colour "None") but also bound to cause
> confusion sooner or later because assigning a fill colour to that
> shape no longer has any effect.

So it does.

Thanks for the comprehensive explanation.

Could you give me a hint on where to find info. on the selected
Control 1/Control 2 please. I've had a look in the manual but have
drawn a blank.

--
Regards

Richard
Wakefield RISC OS Show - Sat 16th April 2011
http://www.wakefieldshow.org.uk