Re: [artworks] ArtWorks EPS

  • From: Gavin Crawford <gav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 22:09:46 GMT

In message <1d6087b451.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <ed6a82b451.Dentrassis@mail>
>           Gavin Crawford <gav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I know this is a long shot, but is the ArtWorks EPS format documented
>> anywhere?

> Yes, but the specification is terse and incomplete. See
> http://www.mw-software.com/files/AWEPS.pdf
> The general format should be fairly easy to work out by exporting a
> few test files though.

Thanks Martin, I admit I never though to look what info was available
in the ArtWorks SDK as I've not looked at the documentation from it
for many years.

I did export a few very simple examples, just to see if the idea was
going to be even feasible.

>> I have a program that currently creates Draw files which I then import
>> into ArtWorks for further editing, but I'd like to be able to create
>> an ArtWorks file directly, so it can contain true ArtWorks objects
>> such as rectangles and ellipses and even place things on different
>> layers. As the native file format is somewhat impossible to create
>> from another program, I'm guessing ArtWorksEPS would be my best
>> approach?

> Yes. When creating ArtWorks EPS for import into ArtWorks you can leave
> out the Prolog (which is only needed to define the EPS procedures so
> the file can be rendered by a PostScript engine). So, it is a comment
> header, the colour table and then a sequence of layers. Each layer
> definition is followed by object definitions. Each object definition
> (e.g., "ae" for an ellipse) is followed by the attributes that apply
> to it (e.g., "x" and "X" to define CMYK fill/line colours) and its
> renderable portion (a standard path terminated by a "b" operator). A
> sequence of objects between "u" and "U" creates a group.

That all seems straight forward.

>> One last thing; out of interest are there any features or objects that
>> are not handled by the EPS import/Export?

> Yes, a few later additions like hatching/pattern fills (exported to
> EPS as statically clipped paths), text areas (exported to EPS as text
> lines), transparency (ignored), shadows (ignored) and replications
> (exported as replicated objects).

OK.

> ArtWorks EPS can handle all ArtWorks 1 objects, Polygons, JPEGs and
> ClipViews (specifications for the additions are not available). Deep
> sprites are not supported on import. JPEGs work fine though. ArtWorks
> EPS supports all ArtWorks colour models (RGB, CMYK and HSV), named
> colours and tints.

I'm surprised deep sprites are not supported, that's a shame. CMYK
sprites would have been handy! But JPEGs being there helps. Although
I've just tried a JPEG within a clipview and it gives me an error of:
Internal error: abort on data transfer. But I'll try that again
another time, after a reboot and investigate some more.

Thanks Martin for all the info, much appreciated.

Gavin.