[artworks] A funny point in intersections

  • From: Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 12:15:07 +0000

Time for something on ArtWorks.

I think I have at least got the hang of intersections and am delighted
with this facility for making it easy to do complicated drawings.

However there is an odd extra point that keeps on creeping in.

I have illustrated this on the ArtWorks file in this zip:

  <http://www.tim.ukpub.net/riscos/Intersection.zip>

There are three layers:

'Shield' contain the background object.

'Bend' contains a diagonal geometric shape of straight lines.

'Intersection' contains the bend to be placed on the shield.

(The contents of Intersection first requires the Shield and the Bend to
be copied to the Intersection layer, of course.)

The odd thing is the additional point of the Intersection on its curved
section.  There is no such point on the curvature of the original
shield.  The two curved parts of the shield are simple beziers.  This
additional point can be a slight nuisance when trying to make minor
subsequent alterations to the intersected object.  But if the point is
deleted that segment reverts to a straight line.

Does this additional point have to be there?

I hasten to add that this is not a serious problem, just curious.

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe                                           tim@xxxxxxxxx
             for a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/