[AR] Re: H2O2 mixture ratio - feature or bug?

  • From: Lars Osborne <lars.osborne@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 12:27:40 -0700

The accident was discussed on this forum in the 09/2001 and 10/2001
timeframe. The archives at blastzone do not have much concrete information,
though, just talk.

Speaking with the gift of hindsight: Next time an amateur rocketeering disaster
happens, it would be beneficial to gather facts so we could learn from it.
If we don't know someone else may not get the opportunity to learn from the
same mistake.

Thanks,
Lars Osborne

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 12:19 PM, Mark C Spiegl <mark.spiegl@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Ben Brockert wrote:
Do you have a citation for him mixing alcohol and peroxide?

Unfortunately I do not.

The accident was discussed on this forum in the 09/2001 and 10/2001
timeframe. The archives at blastzone do not have much concrete information,
though, just talk.

I vaguely remember the incident. I think the accident did not happen
during a static test, but instead a still exploded or something like that.
I could be wrong. I don't remember the details anymore.

The only other reference I found was in a local Houston newspaper:

---------

Phillip E. Bellmore, 42, was working on the rocket in his back
yard Tuesday evening when it exploded, said city Fire Marshal
Wanda Martin.

He was hit in the back by fragments, she said, and flown to
Memorial Hermann Hospital but died that night during surgery.

Martin said the explosion damaged the back of Bellmore's home
and two neighbors' homes.

State