[AR] Re: Falcon 9 flight today

  • From: Jonathan Goff <jongoff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 10:44:04 -0600

Henry,

A few thoughts:

1- SpaceX is claiming that they've analyzed the data, and that there was no
explosion. Take that with the size of NaCl crystal you feel is most
appropriate.

2- Many of the secondary payloads were multi-piece. IIRC, there were
something like 12 pieces expected to be floating around there and only 13
of the 20 or 21 pieces had multiple sightings to very they weren't false
positives. So there's still a real chance that there weren't unexpected
pieces thrown off.

3- If there was some sort of unplanned disassembly, the biggest issue
SpaceX had been running into had been with the M1-Vac nozzle extension. If
something failed, it may have been the nozzle extension itself. If it
failed in some unsymmetrical way that might have made it impractical to try
relighting the engine.

It'll be interesting to see what we find out when we have more data to go
with our speculation. :-)

~Jon