[AR] Arocket Turbopump Project

  • From: "Monroe L. King Jr." <monroe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Arocket" <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 23:21:39 -0700

The story so far...

First I must say wow! It's really good to see arocket collaborating
toward a single goal! It's just awesome!

We have 2 pump designs in progress.

Lloyd Droppers: contributed the original pump design based on the
Francis impeller.

Lars Osborne: Did the original CAD work on Lloyd's impeller design.

Paul Breed: Said he wanted to supply the Electric Motor and Controller
to test the design.

Eric Gustafson and Anthony Cesaroni: Both rendered the impeller design
in 3D.

Russell Blink: Offered his services for 5 axis machining of the
components.

Peter Hokanson: Contributed some script files that can be used with
OpenFoam for CFD analysis.

If I left anyone out please let me know!

The current state of Lloyd's design:

The impeller has been rendered and once we got to that stage we
realized the back side of the impeller was going to need some work.
The reason being this is a fuel pump and testing the pump may be
dangerous without attention to the back side because of the risk of heat
generation and explosion.

Note: I believe we should have gone with the Peroxide pump first due to
the fact we could use water as the testing medium for the first
prototype.

Russell and I have been batting around the Rib vs Piston question for
the impeller design and I believe we have settled on the rib design for
this first prototype.

I am now working on and open to suggestions to implement that strategy.

PUMP #2

Peter Fairbrother: Slapped me up side the head with a Barske pump
outline (which is what it took to get me to look at a Barske design
because I'd never heard of it)

There seems to be a good deal of interest in the Barske design. Noting
that, I proposed a head to head comparison of the 2 pumps. Looks to me
like we have no choice but to build both and compare results being that
the Barske is so much simpler to make and keeping with the fact that
this is arocket and others could duplicate that design.

Troy Prideaux and Andrew Burns: Had been working on a Barske design and
offered up their work in great detail. Which should help us along a
great deal.

Another fella had stated he was going to do some Barske CAD design
however that email must have been deleted accidentally as I can no
longer find it to contact him.

I'm currently accessing all the input from Peter, Troy and Andrew and I
am listening for more input from arocket about this design.

I do need to know what Troy and Andrews pump was designed to pump
(working Fluid) Also I'm wondering if anti-vortex ribs would be helpful
to the Barske pump as well? Being that it's more forgiving in design it
seems.

Ok I've got to get back to work.