Re: [ARMini-support] MIDI player for Risc OS5

  • From: A Rawnsley <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 13:07:44 +0100

In message <CANsTO==mYyYRNTNikgS25tg_EZbyVUsTL+1bH1GTqYf-xuZ2EA@xxxxxx
mail.com>
          Manuel Alfayate <redwindwanderer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi there,

> I'm looking for a software MIDI player module that supports the MIDI
> background SWIs (0x404C0 and onwards). One was supposed to be included in
> the Risc OS 4 CD. Since I'm a legitimate Risc OS user, is there any place I
> could get souch a module?

Historically there was the MIDI module which provided MIDI interface
commands to a single interface.

Later, there was MIDI4 developed by ESP, which had something called
"MIDI Support" which extended the capabilities to cover multiple MIDI
interfaces.

NOTE - Midi interfaces don't have voices.  They simply allow MIDI
in/out to a MIDI keyboard or voice box.  There were a couple of
interfaces which included voice boxes on-board (PowerWave and VTX2000)
but these still worked the same way.

The only software MIDI "Synthesizer" that exists is the ESP
"SoftSynth" which is still a commercial product of sorts, but was
never updated beyond (beta?) Iyonix support.  I haven't had any luck
using it with Aemulor, so far (although haven't spent much time on
it).  Although ESP don't sell their RISC OS products themselves any
more, we bought their last stock and do still sell it, although it
never really came close to the sounds produced by dedicated MIDI
hardware sound-modules.  There was a demo version on the RO4 CD, but
it only had one instrument (piano), and was a private agreement
between RISCOS Ltd and ESP, AFAIK.

If you're just looking to *play* MIDI files, then there is !REmidi
which will do that.

Also, I think Henrik Peterson wrote a very small MIDI synth emulator
thingy which does "Beepy"-synthesis, but again isn't really suitable
for accurate General MIDI instrument playback.

So, I guess the question is, what exactly are you aiming to achieve,
and we can then help you from there?

Andrew

--
R-Comp
22 Robert Moffat, High Legh, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 6PS