[argyllcms] Re: tiffgamut -f

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 15:38:47 +1100

Klaus Karcher wrote:
I've got some unexpected results using tiffgamut -f

viewgam -i returns:

'f100.gam' volume = 55767.0 cubic units
'f70.gam'  volume = 19745.8 cubic units
'f50.gam'  volume = 30817.6 cubic units

what's going wrong?

It seems that doing the two-pass convex hull isn't such a good
idea on image gamuts, although it's generally a good thing on
colorspace gamuts. I've modified tiffgamut to just do
a one pass, and I get this sort of result:

'f100.gam' volume = 73773.6 cubic units
'f70.gam'  volume = 55695.6 cubic units
'f50.gam'  volume = 53698.9 cubic units

Because of the convex hull nature of the triangulation,
it's not unusual to get some seeming randomness with regard to
volume. All you need is one triangle instead of two due to fewer
points, and that simplification can enclose a greater volume rather
than less.

I've uploaded the fix to <http://www.argyllcms.com/Argyll_dev_src.zip>.