[argyllcms] targen problem when used with a pre-conditioning profile

  • From: Dave Karipides <dkcom1@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 19:13:31 -0400

Hello,

I am having difficulty with targen when used with a pre-conditioning
profile.  The command I am using is as follows:

targen -v  -d4 -l300 -f1380 -c st7800_24hpglos_8c.icc -A.8
st7800_24hpglos_8c_precond

If I issue the command as shown above, the targen function seems to
operate as expected and finishes in 31 seconds.

Depending on the value I use for the adaptation parameter (-A), I get
odd / incorrect output.  In some cases the program seems to output
believable results.  In other cases, it returns only a small number of
the requested 1380 patches or sometimes seems to spin in a loop.

1)    If I use an adaptation parameter of 0.7, the program finishes
after 40 seconds, but returns only 43 patches.
2)    If I use an adaptation parameter of 0.899, the program seems to
operate as expected and finishes in 31 seconds.
3)    If I use an adaptation parameter of 0.90, the program seems to
hang after iteration #2.
4)    If I use an adaptation parameter of 0.901, the program seems to
operate as expected and finishes in 52 seconds.
5)    If I use an adaptation parameter of 0.91, the program finishes in
37 seconds, but returns only 19 patches.
6)    If I use an adaptation parameter of 0.92, the program seems to
operate as expected and finishes in 38 seconds.
7)    If I use an adaptation parameter of 0.93, the program seems to
operate as expected and finishes in 31 seconds.
8)    If I use an adaptation parameter of 0.94, the program seems to
operate as expected and finishes in 31 seconds.
9)    If I use an adaptation parameter of 0.95, the program finishes in
31 seconds, but returns only 16 patches.
10)  If I use an adaptation parameter of 0.96, the program finishes in
31 seconds, but returns only 17 patches..
11)  If I use an adaptation parameter of 1.0, the program seems to hang
after iteration #5.

For reference, I am running version 1.3.3 of the tools on a 64 bit Linux
platform (Fedora).  These profiles are for Gutenprint and are used to
drive an Epson 7800 printer in the CMYK color space.

I would appreciate any ideas on what may be happening here.  If desired,
I can provide the pre-conditioning profile I am using.  In the past, I
have used this initial/final profiling technique and have had excellent
results.  I would like to understand what may be going on before I take
the time and effort to fine-tune the system.

Thanks,

Dave