[argyllcms] Re: resources on LUT creation (algorithmic)

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 13:21:01 +1000

Guy K. Kloss wrote:
Any pointers to literature explaining this process would be appreciated. This includes also material on curve fitting, optimisation, etc.

It depends whether you are interested in the 3D fitting, or the
per channel curve fitting. For the former, there is a vast
amount of literature in the general area of fitting scattered
data, especially out of the geographic/mapping side of things.
Googling "Scattered data fitting" should return many potential
leads. Some profiling packages avoid the scattered data approach
and use specially ordered test points, and this is an even wider field.
The particular approach I'm using in Argyll has the references at the
top of the rspl/scat.c file, but I know a couple of other packages
favor a polynomial fitting approach.

As for the per channel curves, I've not come across much if any
literature about it. There was a mention in Michael Bourgoin's
1998 SIGGRAPH notes on this, but precious little else that I know
about. The approach I'm currently using in Argyll is
purely the result of my own experimentation and research.