[argyllcms] Re: printerprofiling with a scanner

  • From: Stephan Bourgeois <stephanb2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 17:31:37 +0000

Hi Ronald,
sorry for the delay, you are asking a question that is difficult to answer. I
am on Linux and I dnn't have the same problem. However in my experience, a
scanner makes a very poor colorimeter, and I never got acceptable printer
profiles using the scanner method. You may want to check an old post "using a
digital camera as a colorimeter". May I suggest that you break down your
workflow step-by-step.

> created scanner profile as a cheapo colorimeter with a gamma of 2.66 that
> was the best av delta 93526 avg 1:297696 and also the best black and white
> values.

At this stage you want to create a "normal" LUT profile for your scanner
(without the -u option), scan a photograph and look at the result on your
calibrated monitor. This will help you validate your scanner profile. Don't
expect a perfect grey balance, but gamma and saturation should be roughly OK.

Also check that you have disabled any colour management in your scanner
application.

> printed the -pA4r 4 targets using adobe PDF postscript and scanned them
> with the colorimeter profile.
>
> read target
>
> made the printerprofile : perceptual and used the profiled colorvision
> monitorprofile (display)
> i use adobeRGB in my pictures and photoshop cs3.

At this stage I am confused about your workflow. You made a printer profile. I
believe that you are using AdobeRGB as your working space. Your monitor profile
should only be involved for Photoshop to display your AdobeRGB images properly
on your LCD monitor.

At that stage did you create a link profile AdobeRGB->printer_profile? Did you
convert a test image from AdobeRGB to printer_profile using cctiff or
PhotoshopCS3?

Are you sure that when you are sending the profiled image to the printer, the
printer driver is not doing another conversion? This is sometimes hard to
figure out on Windows as you will have color management options both in
Photoshop and in the printer driver. I understand that you have the book "Real
World Colour Management", you will find information on this in the book.

> i also have profilerpro from colorvision (only the software) and also
> created a profile with that and also washed out colors.

This would indicate that the problem lies in the scanner profile or in the
workflow.

For your information, any profile I created with the scanner method always had
a shift in the grey axis (red shadows, cyan highlights for example), and errors
on saturated colors.
I hope this helps,
Yours,
Stephan.