[argyllcms] Re: dispcal gamma with sRGB curve

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 11:52:53 +1000

Alberto Ferrante wrote:
The problem I am facing is with gamma: dispread -r measures, with the
profile obtained by using the command above, a gamma of 2.82 which is
pretty high. I have not set any ambient light adjustment, therefore I do
not understand why gamma is not 2.2 as it should be. The same command,
with the Spyder2, was giving a gamma of approximately 2.2.
The ambient light measured by argyll is approximately 14.5, but, as I
said, I haven't used this parameter.

Without the readings from the two devices to compare, it's difficult to
know why they come up with the different numbers.

I'm not sure why you think the display "should be 2.2". The point
of calibration and profiling is to not assume anything about
the display, but to measure it so that its actual behaviour can
be compensated for.

<http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/gamma.html> might be of interest too.