[argyllcms] Working around Vista's gamma bug

  • From: "Lewis Thompson" <purple@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 09:17:42 +0100

Hello

I'm using Argyll with my Spyder2 under Vista 64-bit and I'm
unfortunately hitting the Vista bug whereby my gamma gets reset
whenever User Access Control (UAC) is displayed, I dock or undock, or
come out of the screensaver.  There is more info at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951537/en-us -- unfortunately the
hotfix does not resolve the issue

When I boot Vista I use "dispwin -L profile.icm" to load the profile
into the LUT and set the gamut.  This works very well.  Unfortunately
this is a one-off operation, if I run it a second time around (after
Vista has reset my gamma) it has no effect

After some playing around with dispwin I've found the following:

1. dispwin -V profile.icm confirms that the profile is indeed loaded
into the LUT
2. dispwin -r seems to correctly restore the gamma at the 'Restoring
screen' stage

With this in mind, I wonder if it would be possible to do one of the two:

1. add a new option to dispwin that performs just the 'Restoring
screen' stage of dispwin -r
2. perform this 'Restoring screen' stage of dispwin -r at the end of
the dispwin -L function

I've reviewed the code for dispwin.c and I've attached a patch which I
think implements option 2.  Unfortunately I'm not set up here to do
compile/test just yet

Thanks, Lewis