[argyllcms] Re: Win7 losing monitor profile on wake

  • From: Eric Thomas <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 17:48:50 -0500

Ok, I believe I've found some working solutions.

First, Intel's utility igfxpers.exe was running and was resetting the
profile to the Graphic Adapter defaults.  This adapter doesn't support
profiles and ignores the built-in monitor profile.  Apparently it took
the process a second or so to reset the color setting after waking,
which is why I was seeing the monitor profile colors for a second or
so.  Stopping igfxpers.exe from running at boot fixed the problem I
was having when waking the laptop.

However, I then ran into the Windows 7 Gamma Table Bug.  Again, the
colors would reset to system defaults, but this time after the 'User
Account Control' authorization dialog appeared.  This happens anytime
an app wants to run with Administrative privileges ... the screen
darkens and the user is asked "Do you want to allow this application
to make changes to the computer."

This is well documented:
http://kartikjayaraman.blogspot.com/2009/12/gamma-table-bug-continued-in-windows-7.html
http://www.colorwiki.com/wiki/Vista_Gamma_Table_Bug

The blogs suggest using an app to manually reload the monitor profile.
 I applied what I believe is a better solution using Windows Task
Scheduler, as Florian's suggested, but with a different Event:  Create
a task which runs after the authorization screen to re-apply the
calibration (set a trigger of "Event", log "Security", source
"Microsoft Windows Security Auditing", event ID 4611, and set "Execute
program" as action with the path of the dispcalGUI profile loader
which can be found under "Autostart" in the Start Menu).

thanks,
Eric