[argyllcms] Re: Warning: gamut mapping is non monotonic - may be not very smooth

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 07:22:14 -0700

On 2012-05-24, at 2:49 AM, Graeme Gill wrote:

> You'll never get a good result for ProPhoto unless you constrain the source
> gamut - ProPhoto
> has a stupidly large gamut with imaginary primaries, and compressing down from
> that will typically give a very bad result.

What working space would you recommend, then -- especially for art reproduction
/ giclée? My basic workflow has been to develop with Adobe Camera Raw to 16 bit
ProPhoto. The image of the chart gets fed to Argyll to create a profile, and
then I use Argyll to do a gamut-mapped conversion of the actual shots from that
profile to ProPhoto for whatever post-processing is needed (sharpening,
cropping, resizing, etc.), and then back to Argyll for another gamut-mapped
conversion to the printer's profile.

ACR can output to Adobe RGB, ColorMatch RGB, ProPhoto RGB, and sRGB.

I know from experience that sRGB very often introduces clipping, and I'm pretty
sure that Adobe RGB doesn't encompass the full gamut of the iPF8100. I'm not
familiar with ColorMatch, but I know there won't be any clipping with ProPhoto.

I know I could compare the image gamut against working spaces to pick the
smallest one that fits, or that I could even create a suitable working space on
the fly...but that's always seemed like waaaaaaay too much trouble.

b&