[argyllcms] Viewing chart readouts

  • From: Elena [service address] <1007140@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 23:46:57 +0100

Hi, I hope I don't annoy you too much but please consider me as a quasi-newbie
with Argyll. My plans are now however to replace Profile Maker with argyll once
fo all, so I will be boring, I know, sorry. And I have still many questions and
suggestions to ask.

Today I tried my first chartread with Argyll and my I1. That was intended for
making a quick test profile on ugly plain paper, just to see and check if
everything
is functioning properly.

The first profile went out totally screwed, to a point letting me suspect of
serious
reading errors. Then I read the same printed chart a second time, and the
resulting
profile was now pretty ok (well, for how much a quick profile on plain paper
with just
1000 patches or so and coarsely calibrated channels can be).

But, before I feel to start investing time in profiling quality papers with many
thousands patches, and possibly planning iterative refinements, I would like to
be
100% sure that my readings are always OK! It would be a stress and waste of
time,
if not.

Coming I from PM, I was used to the useful feature which allows to see on screen
the patch line you have just read - and at the end, the complete testchart
reading, with full colors. This way, one can suddently check for possible
misreadings, if something goes wrong.

So I ask: is there a way, without using hacks, to convert a .ti3 reading file
into a
picture, to visually check what you just read ?
Such conversion from xyz/spectral/whatsoever to RGB should, of course, be made
using
a proper illuminant and the monitor profile.

An even better idea would be for chartread to open a gfx window to display
every time the currently read patch or strip.

Trusting on chartread's warning messages (eg. "you seem have read strip Q rather
than strip PP") is not always indicative that something has gone SERIOUSLY
wrong.
I get TONS of such messages when I read strips made almost entirely of dark
tones
(maybe because chartread has no mean to realize how some CMYK mixes could be
actually
 dark in the real world...?)

And checking the numbers inside the .ti3 file by eye to detect serious
misreadings
is an impossible task (for a human, at least)

I hope I didn't issue a totally idiot question.
Any feedback is welcome.

/&