[argyllcms] Re: Support new Calibrator: LG ACB8300

  • From: Andreas Böhler <news@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 10:31:27 +0100

On 05/01/16 02:42, Graeme Gill wrote:

Andreas Böhler wrote:
recently, I bought an LG ACB8300 colorimeter (a very cheap device based
on a chip by Mazet).

Seems like this is no longer available (all my local stores say
"out of stock" or "end of life"). I can't find any direct info
on it at the LG website.

Here is at least the very short manual:
http://www.lg.com/uk/support-product/lg-ACB8300

And there is someone else working with the device, currently with the
original DLL and custom software:
https://incredibits.io/project/calibrate-everything-with-the-lg-acb8300

I tried to calibrate my display with my new driver several times now,
but in the end dispcal always reports "targen: Error - Failed to re-seed
the veronoi after 100 tries - too many node insertion failures ?"

That's typically a result of using a strangely behaved pre-conditioning
profile
when creating test point values. I wouldn't expect a matrix profile
to do this though. Try creating test points without using a pre-conditioning
profile (i.e. no targen -c parameter) and measuring them, then
see what sort of profile is created from the .ti3 file. i.e. does
the gamut surface look as expected for an RGB display ? What's the
self fit error ?

I'm pretty new to the world of color and therefore I tried to use
dispcalGUI. I'll have access to a ColorMunki device later this month,
then I'll be able to compare the results.

I can, of course, provide my (very experimental) code.

Hmm. I can't normally add support for an instrument to the ArgyllCMS
releases unless I have an instrument to do testing on.

This is perfectly understandable. Once I have it working, I'll at least
post the patch and you can decide on what to do. At least in Europe, the
device is still in stock and readily available from a few sellers.

Andreas