[argyllcms] Some question about chromatic adaptation in color management

  • From: Ivan Tsyba <ivantsyba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 22:42:33 +0300

Hi
I'm  try to understand some, maybe basic, principles, but is seems is not
easy to find right answers without reading some scientific literature. All
of them is around chromatic adaptation. Maybe someone tell me where I'm
wrong and where not.

1. How color managed software visualize images on characterised monitor:
program just make matrix calculation between source and destination
(monitor) profiles? Or additionally it calculate chromatic adaptation shift
according to monitor white point? It seems that make, because white pixels
of image is visualised as full white of monitor, and without correction
according to actual display white point image will be look not as expected.
 Or color management logic conciser that user adopted to D50 illuminant not
to display white point?

2. What white point is used in prints color managing: naked paper XYZ
values or XYZ of ideal reflecting diffuser under D50 illuminant?

3. Lab PCS in profiles is always D50 Lab even if device has not D50 white
point? Values recalculated, in that case,  to D50 Lab using Bradford
transformation?

Sorry for my English
Thanks everyone for attention.