[argyllcms] Re: -S command in Colprof for printer profiles

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 11:27:05 +1100

Alan Goldhammer wrote:
> patch targets and read them.  How do I handle '-S' when I'm ready to run
> Colprof?  We don't know what the gamut behavior of the printer is at this
> point only from research that it's broader than AdobeRGB1998 and smaller
> than ProPhoto.  ProPhoto is the default color space for Adobe Lightroom and
> the recommended color space for Photoshop because of the larger gamut than
> AdobeRGB1998.  Does this mean that I should use '-SProPhoto.icc' in my
> command line or use '-nS'.

Yes. -S takes the source gamut as a parameter, and uses it for creating
B2A tables that include gamut mapping. Because these are the B2A tables,
the corresponding destination is the device you are profiling. Naturally
colprof will know the gamut of of the device being profiled, because that
is the data set you are working with. Since it doesn't know which source
profile you intend to link it with later, you have to provide that information.

Did you discover this ? <http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/iccgamutmapping.html>

> It's not clear to me and assistance would be
> appreciated.

I'd be interested in understanding which bits aren't clear. Is it
the higher level concepts ? Would a general overview of the relationship
between ICC profile mechanics/nomenclature and device behavior modeling
have avoided the confusion ?