[argyllcms] Re: R: Re: Neutralize Grey Axis

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 16:44:02 +1100

realman10@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
In the end I believe it's an aesthetic judgment as I like to have slightly
warmer low and mid-tones on B&W, but hate to tamper with empirical workarounds.

"Creative" changes to the rendering really lie outside the scope
of what Argyll currently does (with the possible exception of applying an
abstract profile).

As for your question ("explain what it does") I will quote Monaco's
explanation here:
"Paper Color Control.
This feature compensates for paper color tints which can affect the overall
color balance of the profile. A slider position of 0 (default) preserves the
gray axis relative to the paper color. As the slider value increases, the gray
axis is rendered more Colorimetrically neutral. These effects will be most
obvious along neutral axis and highlight areas while the paper white will
remain unchanged".

Sorry, but I can make no sense of this. Assuming that you are talking about
the results of gamut mapping in the relative colorimetric intent or saturation
tables, then as far I can see, "gray axis relative to the paper color" and
"Colorimetrically neutral" are one and the same thing, since "Colorimetric
neutral"
can only mean "relative colorimetric" (since neutrality depends on the
adaptation
of the observer), and the paper color is used as the assumed observer adaptation
white point.

So some clearer technical explanation of what it does is needed.