[argyllcms] Re: Linux test system

  • From: Craig Ringer <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 10:32:39 +0900

Graeme Gill wrote:

> CentOS seemed to trip over the SATA DVD drive
> and ended in a kernel panic. I gave up on that and loaded
> the WhiteBox version I'm currently using instead.
> (It's likely to be very similar to Fedora I imagine anyway.)

This is an issue with older kernels. Most likely the kernel command line
(given to the installer boot loader)

        generic.all_generic_ide=1

will resolve the issue. Once installed it'll normally work fine off a
hard disk. You may also need to set your disk controller to "Compatible"
mode instead of "AHCI" mode in BIOS for the install and possibly to run.
This will break Windows installs, though manual repair is possible.

> After spending longer on them than all the other
> distributions combined, neither Debian nor Gentoo would install.
> Gentoo's configuration was too hard to fathom, with too
> little guidance or examples for a casual user, and even after working
> around various bad iso images, and wasting hours downloading
> archives over my 512K internet connection, it all ended with
> an obscure option error during compilation (unknown option
> "--no-gensplash").

I'm a little surprised by that; I've had few issues and run a lot of
Debian systems, mostly on Etch.

Were you using a release install ISO from the debian project mirrors?

Note that as Debian uses an older kernel you are likely to need the same
installer option as I mentioned for CentOS above, and may also need to
change the disk controller mode. You can fetch an updated kernel from
etch-backports later if you want.

> So until these distributions get to a state where a
> casual user (such as myself) is able to install them
> on currently available hardware (ASUS P5K-V intel
> motherboard so I can test intel, NVIDIA and ATI graphics
> cards, a SATA hard drive and DVD drives) without spending
> a week or more doing it, I'm afraid I won't be in a position
> to figure out the system specific install issues or
> bugs in running Argyll on these distributions :-(

Note that Debian, at least, is doing a small update release of Etch that
bundles a new kernel and updated core tools (lvm, md, mount, modutils,
etc) to ease installations on new hardware.

--
Craig Ringer