[argyllcms] Re: Jam InstallInto

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 May 2011 11:16:55 +1000

Pascal de Bruijn wrote:
DESTDIR =
PREFIX = /usr

install dispread ${DESTDIR}${PREFIX}/bin/dispread

So PREFIX is used to determine where the files are put in the
filesystem /usr or /usr/local or /opt/argyll or whatever, thus the
default of /usr. The DESTDIR variable is specially there for package
builders, where installs can be redirected by packaging tools.

OK, shouldn't be too hard to do this now.

All build systems have their quirks... In the end it's just a choice
of where you want to get bitten :)

Overall I'm pleased with how flexible and easy to work with (my version of)
Jam is. Some of the tricks needed under the covers to make the stock
Jam work this way are a bit ugly and slow though. I'd like to
fix/re-write jam to address these problems (or rather to complete
a re-write I started years ago), but it's difficult to find the time
when it works well enough.