[argyllcms] Inkjet printer driver related question

  • From: Ivan Tsyba <ivantsyba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 11:42:25 +0300

Hi.
I'm trying to understand basic principles of data flow from image file to
inkjet printer head.
As I understand, driver is sending to inkjet printer raster data in all
cases, even application trying to print text line. But when this data is
transformed to printer colorant quantities: by driver, or by printer
firmware?
I'm trying to figure this by capturing print data, that OS is sending to
Epson Stylus R3000 in Linux, but I get unreadable binary file. Epson
proprietary driver has mode selection with Color, Grayscale and Advanced
B&W Photo when Gutenprint driver has CMYK, CMY, KCMY, RGB and other
variants and this is little bit confusing, because printer have more than
four colorants.
Can somebody try to clarify this?