[argyllcms] Re: I seem to be losing the installed LUT in X or someting along those lines. Help!

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 22:54:11 +1000

Roland Mas wrote:
  As maintainer of the Debian packages, I freely admit to having been
guilty of that in the past.  However, the current state of the *.deb
sources only differs from upstream on the following points:

Hi,
        my apologies for tarring everyone with the same brush - I haven't
surveyed the various distributions, so I really don't know where they are at.
I just end up wearing some of the fallout from those that can't help
fiddling with things.

- a fix for FreeBSD portability:

Hmm. Argyll V1.2.0 switches to a version of libusbV1, although it's possible
to use libusb0.1 by setting the appropriate #define (see the Jamtop).
I mention this because libusbV1 doesn't currently have BSD support.

- a change in the path where Argyll looks for the Spyder2 firmware (so
  it complies with the FHS):

I've made a similar change to where the i1pro/Munki calibration file
gets stored, but I'm not sure I want to monkey with /var/lib, since
this is rather system dependent. What I'm prepared to do is to follow
the XDG Base Directory Specification, and allow it to be installed in
$XDG_DATA_DIRS or $XDG_DATA_HOME. The latter would be chosen using
an option to spyd2en.

- a set of scripts to generate a *.deb containing said Spyder2 firmware
  and installing it in a FHS-compliant place; in places where several
  computers may need to use a Spyder2, this package can be installed on
  all without needing to move the driver CD along;

I understand the convenience factor, but I'm not so sure that
the device owner has the rights to do that with the firmware.
Not my problem though :-)

- and the biggest part: a conversion of the build system to
  autoconf/automake.

Sorry about that, but I chose Jam a long time ago, and it works
well for me as a cross platform system. If I were choosing again
now, I'd probably pick cmake.

too if you could integrate it.  Then there would be no functional
difference in the sources between your released code and the one in
Debian (and Ubuntu, since I think they just take my packages
unmodified).

libusb is still (and will continue to be) an issue, if a version
other than the one that comes with Argyll is used. usb is simply
too fragile to rely on it working "out of the box". I've done my best
to feed fixes upstream, but some may never be incorporated.