[argyllcms] Re: Green Color Cast with LUT profiles

  • From: Nikolay Pokhilchenko <nikolay_po@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:15:17 +0400

Pascal de Bruijn wrote:

> > What instrument You have use?
>
> A huey :)
>
> > If You have try a colorimeter, it may have a shift itself, because
> > colorimeter matrix may be not optimized for your certain display(s).
>
> I do not have a funky LED backlit display or something like that, so
> that should be no issue...

I've noticed, that on some generic LCD displays with classical CCFL backlit get
a green cast when calibrated with i1 Display 2 (a colorimeter). It's because
most of consumer colorimeter have far not exact spectral sensitivity as in
described in CIE standard for standard observer. The correction matrix are
applied to colorimeter data for every kind of display type in software (LCD
CCFL, LCD LED, Wide GAMUT LCD, Projectors). If Your kind of display wasn't
corrected by matrix by manufacturer, the results may be quite far from wanted.

> And it _does_ work with single shaper matrix profiles.

Yes, It may work because of very restricted fitting capabilities of single
shaper matrix. In general, there are rotary dispersion effect in the subpixels
of LCD. The light spectrum, which passes through a liquid crysrals, are depend
of crystals rotation angle. The effect is more distinctive at a maximum
subpixel transparency level. So the averaged by gamut volume shaper data may
not to be greenish, but fitted LUT data in certain transparencies levels can.
Do You try a shaper matrix, not a single shaper?