[argyllcms] Re: Error: "Insrument is missing the Normal or LCD calibration table"

  • From: Nick Hall <darknovanick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 10:52:58 -0500

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 5:29 PM, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Nick Hall wrote:
> > I ran "dispcal -v9 -D9 -y l nick" and chose option 5 (Check all). I get
> the following output:
>
> > Instrument Type:   ColorVision Spyder2
> > Serial Number:     00654644
> > Hardware version:  0x0300
>
> > read_sample returned 'Hardware Failure' (Insrument is missing the Normal
> or LCD calibration table)
> > spyd2: about to get a reading
>
> Hi,
>
> When I added Spyder 4 support I incorporated it into the Spyder 2 and 3
> driver, and added some checks that were missing. It appears that your
> instrument is faulty, in that it's missing the flags that say it
> has any calibration tables programmed into it.
>
> I happen to have wound up with 3 Spyder 2's with serial numbers earlier,
> about the same, and latter than yours, and all have:
>
> Hardware version:  0x0307
>
> The '7' is a set of flags indicating that they have both CRT and LCD
> calibration tables, plus an extra special purpose table.
>
> So it seems that one of the following is the case:
>
> 1) The flags value is not being read correctly
> 2) The flags value has not been programmed into your instrument
> 3) The calibration tables are missing and the flags value has not been set.
>
> It's quite possible that earlier versions of Argyll were not
> checking these flags, which is why it used to work, and would
> indicate that 3) is not the case.
>
> Question: Does the instrument work with the manufacturers software ?
>
> Graeme Gill.

Thanks for responding. I just checked and it indeed works fine with the
manufacturers software. I also tried reloading the PLD pattern from the CD
using spyd2en. The same errors happens then when using dispcal. I've also
tried loading the PLD pattern from the latest download of Colorvision's
software (version 2.3.6) and I also get the same error.

I pulled off the Argyll 1.3.3 directory I had from another computer and ran
it, on the same computer that is giving me problems with 1.4.0. Version
1.3.3 then works correctly.

Version 1.3.3 also shows the hardware version as 0x0300. I don't know
anything about the internals of this device, but it seems to me that since
it works fine using Colorvision's software, ColorHCFR, and Argyll 1.3.3,
the hardware itself isn't defective. I have no idea why the flags are set
differently than your devices, as it seems like if they changed something
during manufacturing it would go by serial number, but perhaps the serial
number pattern is not strictly linear and my device was loaded with
different firmware than all 3 of yours?

If you want me to look into anything else or test a different binary, I'd
be happy to. Thanks,

Nick