[argyllcms] Re: DIY reflective spectro

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <blackfive@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 17:24:15 +0000

Hi,

Stephan Bourgeois wrote:

My experience has been a wonderful educational project, that as Graeme says produces a device of *low accuracy*. And some aspects of the design have been totally ignored (eg. illumination). The end result is also totally unsuited for measuring a large number of patches.

Well, now you've got me wondering whether a flatbed scanner could be repurposed with a few modifications.

Just thinking out loud, suppose the lamp were masked such that only a small aperture were illuminated, and prismatic element of some kind were arranged such that the reflected image were split, with the resulting spectrum being cast across the CCD. With the right software and calibration, this would provide instant strip-reading capability.

Optics is *definitely* not my strong point, though - does this sound even remotely feasible?

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson