[argyllcms] Re: Colour gamut of matrix profiles

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 15:51:26 +1100

Stephen T wrote:
> When profiling an input device (camera) we can choose a matrix profile. What
> is the colour gamut
> of this matrix profile? With a simple mapping of linear RGB to linear XYZ I
> think the complete
> device gamut is possible? With a CLUT profile I suppose the gamut is limited
> by the profiling
> target???

Input devices don't really have a color gamut. If a particular input channel
is saturated, you can always decrease the exposure, bringing it in-gamut.

As a matter of practicality, the finite range of RGB values can
be used to define a gamut, although this doesn't take into
consideration the possibility that the device value range
may be less that 0 to 100%.

The type of profile doesn't really enter into this. The accuracy
of the profile will be affected by the gamut of the test chart -
naturally the profile gets less accurate the further it strays
from a measured sample. So the gamut of reasonable accuracy
is defined by the gamut of the test chart.