[argyllcms] Re: Color space charts

  • From: Roger Breton <graxx@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 11:35:52 -0400

These charts can be generated programmatically or manually, using the
Standard Observer data, converted from XYZ to sRGB or AdobeRGB. That gives
you only the spectrum locus shape. And it also gives you the "clipping"
information, so you get the exact gamut extent of either spaces.

To calculate the inside of the horseshoe, though, some additive color mixing
is necessary, to calculate the resultant chromaticity coordinates and then,
you can compute the RGB values for plotting inside Illustrator or whatever
other graphic utilities. Maybe Graeme has a ready-made utility that does the
trick in one keystroke? I've seen this done, once, at the National Research
Center in Ottawa, but I never bothered to ask the programmer for his code. I
wonder if it could be done using Excel? Come to think of it, Matlab may
already have a command to do just that already? Or even Mathematica. I
remember seeing, not long ago, some kind of demonstration routine that drew
the chromaticity diagram right on my PC, with their free demo Wolfram
Research application?

This is something I'd like to do programmatically, some day, but always end
up having something more urgent to do.

Best / Roger