[argyllcms] Re: Chartread Sees SpectroScan then Sees Spectrolino

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 11:46:30 +1100

Mike Bowers wrote:
When Chartread establishes communication with my SpectroScan, it receives the SpectroScan label, but on subsequent calls it receives a response of spectrolino and begins a manual workflow. This looks similar to a previous post:

* From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
* To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
* Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 16:30:39 +1100

 >> so the problem most likely is that the driver is expecting
a Device Name Type of "Spectrolino" and instead is finding
"Spectrolino 8mm". Simple enough to fix in the next release.<<

My problem may be different from the previous post because I get slightly different debugging codes from chartread. I'll include it below the signature. Chartread with -v flag gives:

icoms: Write_Read Write_Read success, returning ':D1905370656374726F5363616E00000000000000^M^J'

It does seem to the a similar problem. Currently the string
"SpectroScan " is expected in the above device type string,
but your instrument seems to be returning "SpectroScan" (note
the lack of a trailing space).

[ The lack of uniformity amongst machines in the field is a constant
  source of amazement! Manufacturers seem to love fiddling with
  things. ]

> I have started to familiarize myself with ajam 2.5.2, but it is slow
> going as I have never compiling code before.

A code in ss.c about line 269 may solve your problem

from this:

            if (strcmp(devn, "SpectroScan ") == 0) {
                p->itype = instSpectroScan;
            } else if (strcmp(devn, "SpectroScanT") == 0) {
                p->itype = instSpectroScanT;
            }

to this:

            if (strcmp(devn, "SpectroScan ") == 0
             || strcmp(devn, "SpectroScan") == 0) {
                p->itype = instSpectroScan;
            } else if (strcmp(devn, "SpectroScanT") == 0) {
                p->itype = instSpectroScanT;
            }

If you tell me which platform you are on I can make a patched version
available.